cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Securing Switched infrastructure

hsacisco
Level 1
Level 1

I am running a core 4006 with 15 3548/3550/3560 edge switches - I am starting to move everything out of vlan1 and create dedicated vlans for everything - I am now working on the management of switches I have created a management vlan vlan800 on the core and then disabled vlan1 on a 3550 created ip interface of vlan800 and am now manageing the switch on the new vlan address.

3550 output

interface Vlan1

no ip address

shutdown

!

interface Vlan800

description Management

ip address 10.*.*.1 255.255.0.0

I know I am going in the right direction but can't seem to find a definitive "how to secure your switched network best practice " document on cisco.com

Can anyone please advise if such a document exists.

Thanks

Roger

1 Reply 1

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Roger,

I do not think that changing the management vlan is a part of security on switch netwok.

When I think of security I think of network with well defined subnets as per design and requirement and proper vlans for those subnet. Breaking the layer 2 switch network into vlans comes as a part of switched security.

Also applying port securities is very important part of switch secure network.

Some layer 2 switches also support ACLs and higher model switches also supports Private vlans for security

Also read this doc from Cisco "Network Security Policy: Best Practices White Paper"

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/126/secpol.html#t1

HTH

Ankur

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: