Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Securing Switched infrastructure

I am running a core 4006 with 15 3548/3550/3560 edge switches - I am starting to move everything out of vlan1 and create dedicated vlans for everything - I am now working on the management of switches I have created a management vlan vlan800 on the core and then disabled vlan1 on a 3550 created ip interface of vlan800 and am now manageing the switch on the new vlan address.

3550 output

interface Vlan1

no ip address

shutdown

!

interface Vlan800

description Management

ip address 10.*.*.1 255.255.0.0

I know I am going in the right direction but can't seem to find a definitive "how to secure your switched network best practice " document on cisco.com

Can anyone please advise if such a document exists.

Thanks

Roger

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
1 REPLY

Re: Securing Switched infrastructure

Hi Roger,

I do not think that changing the management vlan is a part of security on switch netwok.

When I think of security I think of network with well defined subnets as per design and requirement and proper vlans for those subnet. Breaking the layer 2 switch network into vlans comes as a part of switched security.

Also applying port securities is very important part of switch secure network.

Some layer 2 switches also support ACLs and higher model switches also supports Private vlans for security

Also read this doc from Cisco "Network Security Policy: Best Practices White Paper"

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/126/secpol.html#t1

HTH

Ankur

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.