Views
Helpful
Replies

Segmentin a Catalyst 3500 XL Switch

dyckhscr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Up until now we have used Cisco routers and 3Com hubs and switches. Now we've switched to cisco switches and hubs and I'm lost.

I need to "segment" (3com terminology) the 3500 so that I can have two distinct ranges of IP addresses crossing it. Setup is such that the router (a 1750) has two ethernet ports addressed 172.21.x.x and 172.22.x.x. I need to assign certain ports to use the 22 and teh rest the 21 range.

I've looked at the documentation but can't fathom out what I'm supposed to do on the 3500 - any pointers gratefully taken.

Stuart

4 Replies 4

o.hassairi
Level 1
Level 1

first if your switches r layer 2 then there's no prob if users r not in the same IP ranges. but if u want they behave as they were physically separated then u can make layer 2 VLANs. in this case they could not communicate without a layer 3 device.

if u want they can communicate without a layer 3 device then u should use layer 3 swiches such as 3550 series and not 3500.

Thank you - I have printed out an earlier suggested link and am investigating that .... at least 3com made some things simple!

Stuart

Frederic Vanderbecq
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Your solution is to configure VLANs and assigned all the ports in the same subnet to the same VLAN. More info on VLANs and how to configure them can be found at the following URL:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/c2900xl/29_35wc5/scg/swvlan.htm

The router will then be responsible for interconnecting those VLANs.

Thank you - I have seen that page you suggest and will go re peruse it. One clarification though ....

The router won't be responsible for "interconnecting" any LANS but will be responsible for keeping them apart. Thus the need to segment the switch to make it appear as two distinct entities.

Stuart

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: