Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Serial number for a CAT 4006

We have a CAT 4006 that seems to be reporting serial number contrary to what I have seen documented. Here is a screen print of the show version. Notice that the Serial number reported is the same serial number reported on the first line of modules. I understand that the Serial number that is reported in the line that contains the Model number should be the Serial number of the chassis. Anybody run into this and what the fix will be? I'm new to CAT OS devices and have not been able to find the corresponding SNMP-SERVER CHASSISID command that exists in the IOS world.

Incidently I need to dump this information from RME 3.4 using DEE to create a CSV for upload into Remedy if anyone is wondering why I need the chassis serial number.

Thanks for the help

Randy Moore

NOVA Chemicals

WS-C4006 Software, Version NmpSW: 6.1(2)

Copyright (c) 1995-2001 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

NMP S/W compiled on Jan 25 2001, 14:04:40

GSP S/W compiled on Jan 25 2001, 11:49:56

System Bootstrap Version: 5.4(1)

Hardware Version: 1.2 Model: WS-C4006 Serial #: JAB04290BMG

Mod Port Model Serial # Versions

--- ---- ---------- -------------------- -----------------------

1 2 WS-X4013 JAB04290BMG Hw : 1.2

Gsp: 6.1(2.0)

Nmp: 6.1(2)

2 34 WS-X4232-L3 JAB0517082F Hw : 1.6

3 48 WS-X4148-RJ JAE04420405 Hw : 2.3

4 48 WS-X4148-RJ JAE04430202 Hw : 2.3

6 REPLIES
Blue

Re: Serial number for a CAT 4006

In CatOS, there is no command similar to snmp-server chassis-id that is available in IOS. WS-C4006 Serial #: JAB04290BMG <--- !!!! If you pll the switch using chassisSerialNumberString (.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.5.1.2.19) from CISCO-STACK-MIB, it will return the same above number which should match with what's listed outside the switch chassis.

Thanks. I've read about using that OID to get the serial number. Unfortunetly it returns the same serial of the first module, not the serial number of the Chassis. Our Chassis serial number is F0X05.... Wonder if it is a bug in 6.1(2) that we are running. All the documentation I could find on the CAT OS says that it should return the chassis serial number and not the serial number of module1

Blue

I don't see the same with my switch. According to the definition of this MIB object "The serial number of the chassis. This MIB object will return the chassis serial number for any chassis that either a numeric or an alphanumeric serial number is being used".

Weird isn't it.... i posted the same question on the switch LAN forum and I was told there is a bug in 6.1(2) code release we are running of this nature. Under 6.3 it is fixed.... I need to check this out in the bug finder tool though to be certain, so until I do I would take that with a grain of salt. Really apprciate all your help.

Blue

I believe it is CSCdr76862 fixed in 6.3(2) and later. You can verify this by looking at the Serial Number Field output under the Common block in the show sprom chassis command on the switch. If the output does not match with the sh ver output, then this is definitily the above problem:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/relnotes/78_6218.htm

In v7.5 there's a new command added "set snmp chassis-alias" for this. More details in command reference.

Thanks, that really helped me out. I was using the Bug tool to find this bug and was having no luck until I saw the email update. Saved me from opening a TAC case. Thanks!!!

Randy

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content