cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Serial Number of a Cisco equipment

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

There has been a lot of questions coming up...."Is there a command available in Cisco equipment, to see the serial number of the equipment".

Is it due to security reasons, that the serial number of the equipment is not available through software ?

If not, Can Cisco implement it in software. As we know that on routers, we get the processor serial id. The sh version command does show a lot of information about all versions of software and even the processor serial ids. Why cant Cisco add the serial number of the equipment too ??

Regards..

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus
10 Replies 10

You have a very valid point/question, however let's put it in another context. Since the majority of cisco equipment (especially the high end equipment) is modular, with one of the modules actually handling the processing and input/output, there is no real way for, for example, a supervisor module to know the chassis serial number. When you perform the "show" on, for example, a modular catalyst switch, the serial number it shows for the "chassis" is in fact the serial number of the supervisor module, and NOT the chassis. (see the serial stated for the supervisor in the "show modules").

I agree that it would be very useful to be able to get the serial number via the command line, especially when filling out the online forms for Smartnet after the equipment is already deployed... but there are obviously reasons that this wasn't implemented in the first place.

I would, however, like to add a suggestion that the labels bearing serial numbers, part number, etc. are clearly labled as to what the number is to avoid confusion :) A catalyst 2900XL has at least 4 different labels with items somewhat resembling a serial number, and it's more or less "pot luck" to get the right number (when at least 2 of these labels begin with the classic "JAx*****" which is often found in cisco serial numbers.

I tend these days to note the serial numbers upon delivery before deployment as it saves a lot of hassle :)

Regards,

Leland

CCIE #8936

I found yet, another way of pullingout serial numbers from the equipment. But this has to be done while configuring the routers, before deployment to remote locations. The method of obtaining the serial number would be through SNMP.

the command used is,

snmp-server chassis-id

Once this command is entered, and the router is configured as SNMP agent, from remote locations, if we pull SNMp info for this router, it would display this serial number as the chassis id.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

cotis
Level 1
Level 1

On most Cisco boxes if you do "show version" the serial number for the box will be displayed.

This may also show motherboard and power supply serial numbers, be certian you look for "System Serial Number".

For routers its not the same as the serial number of device. its the processor board serial number

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

gordons
Level 1
Level 1

We have 2 PIX-525s, and there is no serial number on the chassis at all, but a 'show version' will produce the serial number that Cisco's SCC has registered.

I wouldn't mind seeing the serial number included in routers and switches as well.

I found yet, another way of pullingout serial numbers from the equipment. But this has to be done while configuring the routers, before deployment to remote locations. The method of obtaining the serial number would be through SNMP.

the command used is,

snmp-server chassis-id

Once this command is entered, and the router is configured as SNMP agent, from remote locations, if we pull SNMp info for this router, it would display this serial number as the chassis id.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

the command used is,

snmp-server chassis-id

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

the command used is,

snmp-server chassis-id

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

the command used is,

snmp-server chassis-id

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

the command used is,

snmp-server chassis-id

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: