Views
Helpful
Replies

Server connected to port in 2950 Switch takes a long rtt

csaravanan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have cisco 2950 switch fabric connected to cisco 3600 Gig switch.

I have a server connected to Fast Ethernet port of cisco 2950 switch

The problem I am facing is the ping rtt time has increased for past 10 days for that particular server.

I identified the server connected to Fa0/25 port.There is an other desktop connected to Fa0/5.

The ping response time from the desktop is less. (less in the sense, whenever I ping a host in local network, I get the response as <1 ms. where as when I ping from server I get response as <1ms for 20 to 25 pings and then it randomly goes up to 30, 50, or 90 msecs.

I believe there is a problem with the switch.

How do I troubleshoot this issue

Thanks,

Chandru

4 Replies 4

serdarkut
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

have you checked out the duplex settings on both server and switch's related port?

Yes I did. They are set to 100 full duplex

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It might not even be a problem if the server is very busy at the time of your pings then pings are generally given a lower priority . If you have a problem and you have the checked the ports for errors then maybe it is just traffic related where the server is just temporarily busy . You may have to take a look at the server . When the pings are longer take a look at the server interface and see what kind of traffic is being pushed thru the interface , use the "show interface X/X command .

You were right Glen. The system was consuming more resources and it caused the problem

Thanks,

Chandru

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: