Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Server Load Balance question

Hello, I am looking for a Server Load Balancing solution to connect external clients to my WEB servers (HTTP/HTTPS). I found a CISCO document talking about SLB in IOS and when I tried to look for by using "Feature Navigator" there were only CISCO routers or high-range switches as 6500. Could you tell me if there is another switch cheaper than 6500 that allows SLB? Is IOS SLB the best choice to do Load Balance?

Thanks a lot

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Server Load Balance question

IOS SLB is only available in Catalyst 6500 (and 7200/7500 routers too, maybe, if I remember correctly).

It really isn't a good solution, unless (a) you already have a Cat 6500 where you need to do the SLB and (b) you don't mind adding extra load to the switch and changing its function in your architecture.

Better to get a hardware load-balancer. Look at Cisco CSS 11500 series devices, for example.

2 REPLIES

IOS SLB is only available in Catalyst 6500 (and 7200/7500 routers too, maybe, if I remember correctly).

It really isn't a good solution, unless (a) you already have a Cat 6500 where you need to do the SLB and (b) you don't mind adding extra load to the switch and changing its function in your architecture.

Better to get a hardware load-balancer. Look at Cisco CSS 11500 series devices, for example.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Best regards

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content