Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Server load balancing from a 6509 - Etherchannel?

I am looking at options for adding server load balancing to a cluster comprising of 4 identical new NT servers which will all be running the same application. I may not be able to use the IOS SLB feature set because the LAN switches use hybrid CATOS/IOS as a global standard - IOS SLB I believe only runs on Native IOS. I started looking at Etherchannel but do not feel that this is really a "server load balancing" technique. All of the NT servers have 2*100Mb NICs - one connection to an Intranet and the other to the general network. I want to load balance the Intranet connections of the 4 servers as this is the network that several thousand clients will be using.

Has anyone used Etherchannel for server load balancing? Has anyone used IOS SLB on a 6509 using hybrid CATOS/IOS? Will I have to justify making an exception to our Cat6509 standards and use IOS SLB on Native IOS.

Apologies for the multiple questions.

Thanks

Steve Durham

1 REPLY

Re: Server load balancing from a 6509 - Etherchannel?

I don't believe it is possible to use Ethernetchannel to load balance between servers. So, that is not an option.

I also believe one needs to use the Native IOS on the 6500's to make use of IOS SLB. This is probably your best option. I have had some experience with IOS SLB on the 6513 and I think it is great.

Alternatively, you can always purchase a dedicated load balancing device or Cisco's CSS add-on resulting from their Arrowpoint purchase.

-Tim

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content