cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Server running on fiber connection

ddicky
Level 1
Level 1

I'm new in Cisco.I have a server which will run on fiber connection connecting back to our network.

Which module should I connect to WS-G5484 or 100-BaseFX MTRJ port such as WS-C2950C.what kind of cable will be invoved

1 Reply 1

konigl
Level 7
Level 7

Depends on the fiber connection in the server.

If it's a Gigabit Ethernet connection, then you need to determine if it's short wavelength (SX, 850nm) or long wavelength (LX, 1300nm). For Gigabit SX, use WS-G5484 1000BASE-SX GBIC; for Gigabit LX, use WS-G5486 1000BASE-LX/LH GBIC.

As for cable, if it's an SX connection then you need two-strand multimode fiber, at least a 2-meter length. The cable needs SC connectors for the GBIC end, and whatever connectors are on the server's port at the other end. Worst-case maximum distance is 220m. If it's an LX connection, same strand and connector discussion applies here. But your maximum cable distance can be anywhere from 550m to 10,000m.

If the server has a Fast Ethernet fiber connection, then you need to determine if it's meant for multimode fiber use (probably) or single mode fiber (possibly). Multimode fiber to a switch can run up to 412m if the port runs in half-duplex mode; or out to 2,000m if you run full-duplex. (The only good reason to ever run in half-duplex is if you're connecting to a shared media hub rather than a switch.)

If the port uses an MT-RJ connection, there's one connector at that end, but both fiber strands terminate in it.

Some newer Cisco switches are starting to use SFPs, which are similar in function to GBICs but smaller; although not small enough to use an MT-RJ connector. These optical transceiver modules use LC connectors: they're kind of like SC, but smaller.

Hope this helps.