Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Server Vlan

Hi

I am looking to restructure the LAN at the CO shortly, but just want some advice on server placement. I have a mixture of 3550 switches, 2950, and 2900xl switches. I am going to implement a collapsed core structure with 2 3550 switches at the distribution layer running hsrp and looking after routing between vlans. My main question is this .... at the moment all servers are on LANs with clients, Is it a good idea to put servers on there own VLAN, if so why. I guess that If the servers are on the same LAN as the clients then client to server conversation are truely switched layer 2 where as if you put the servers on there own vlan, then switching will be at layer 3, I have the emi image on the 3550's in the dist layer. The good thing I suppose about having the server's on there own vlan is that they are in there own broadcast domain.

Could any one before I decide how to implement this advise on whether the server vlan is a good idea, and if the 3550's with emi are up to the task. We dont generate huge amounts of data on the lan but at some point I want to get voice on the lan.

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES

Re: Server Vlan

Your thoughts about L2 vs L3 are correct. But with a 3550 doing L3 switching, there is hardly a performance penalty on placing the servers in one or more separate vlans. Another advantage of having a server-vlan is the enhanced control over the access to it.

When your traffic is not too heavy a 3550 is the perfect device for the job.

Thanks for your reply .... I will create a vlan for servers.

Regards

Hi

I just have a further Q that I would appreciate some help on ..... I tested the performance on the 3550 for switching at layer 2 and switching at layer 3 and the results were identical ... fantastic I think compared to router on a stick.

I will be using a 3550-48 as a layer 3 switch .... I beleive it has roughly around a 15Gb switching bus .... If I put all my servers on there own vlan and essentially route everything through this switch .... how much data could I route between vlans before performance would be degraded ..... 100mb , perhaps a GIG, If anyone could answer this I would appreciate it, I cant ever see us getting much over 100mb at anyone time but you never know.

Regards

Views
Helpful
Replies