cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Service compress-config

CanEHdian
Level 1
Level 1

Just a quick question on this: have I gone crazy or did this command automatically appear in my Cat-4510R's running-config? I never put it there, nor do I remember it being there before. All I know is that I noticed it after the first time that I did a copy run start after inputing some new config commands - it took minutes to get a prompt back!! I was quite concerned at how much time it took... is this normal?

Cheers,

Al

4 Replies 4

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi Al,

I'm pretty sure that command is not enabled by default so it seems that it must have been configured by someone.

The command results in the startup-config being compressed when it is stored in NVRAM and that's why it now takes longer. If you are not running out of space on NVRAM you can safely remove the command.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

xephael
Level 1
Level 1

I would leave the command on the router even though it takes longer to build the configuration.

As pkhatri pointed out... the command was already enabled when you got the router, or someone else enabled it afterwards.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Pretty sure it is on by default at least in all the 4500 series switches. It doesn't sound right that it took that long to come back with a prompt , at most it shouldn't take more than 10 seconds to save the config.

Well, it must be on by default since I did not put it there and I am the only person configuring this new core switch.

I sure am concerned now, since it does take at least 60 seconds (if not more) to come back with a prompt after a 'copy run start'. The interesting thing is that it didn't always do this, it used to be quite fast.

If I go back a few weeks, I believe that it may have started taking this much time after I created a cluster (the 4510 being the cluster command and a total of 10 3560s cluster members over gigabit fiber). I know, I know... not a big fan of http and clustering for CNA (Cisco Network Assistant)access, but I must have it in order for those less CLI-skilled co-workers to make minor port changes when I'm not around.

So, could this be the clincher? Still... 1-2 minutes waiting for a prompt??

Thanks all,

Al

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: