Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Service Policy on 827 with PPPoA

I have an exising 827 configured for PPPoA using a dialer interface (dialer profile). If I create a Policy-Map and apply it to the Dialer interface for egress traffic the interface goes down. If I debug it complains about not having a dialer string - since a dailer string is not needed for this setup I am a bit stuck (debug message is cannot dial, no dialer string). I can add a dummy dialer string but it still doesnt work. I understand the 827 isn't the most featured router in the world but is there an alternative way to set this up so I can apply a service policy on the interface (be it dialer or other). I need to use PPPoA and CHAP/PAP authentication.

5 Replies 5

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

We need to see the running config from 827 to know how you have configured policy-map. Dialer string not required for dsl config. By the way here is the config help for Qos on 827

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/access/acs_fix/826/swg/advconf.htm

Thanks for replying - the relevent bits of the config below:

interface ATM0

no ip address

load-interval 30

no atm ilmi-keepalive

bundle-enable

dsl operating-mode auto

!

interface ATM0.38 point-to-point

pvc 0/38

encapsulation aal5mux ppp dialer

dialer pool-member 1

!

!

interface Dialer1

ip address negotiated

ip access-group 111 in

ip nat outside

encapsulation ppp

dialer pool 1

dialer-group 1

ppp authentication chap callin

ppp chap hostname XXXX

ppp chap password XXXX

!

dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit

!

There is some more config (ACLs, & IP inspection) but I don't think these are relevent. I added the config below when testing some other stuff out for a customer and this is when the problem appeared:

class-map match-any MANAGEMENT

match ip dscp cs6 cs7

class-map match-any VOICE-CONTROL

match ip dscp af31 af32 af33

class-map match-any VIDEO

match ip dscp af41 af42 af43

class-map match-any VOICE

match ip dscp ef

class-map match-any default

match ip dscp af21 af22 af23

!

!

policy-map WAN-QoS

class VOICE

priority percent 15

class MANAGEMENT

bandwidth percent 2

class VIDEO

bandwidth percent 15

class VOICE-CONTROL

bandwidth percent 5

class UNSPECIFIED

bandwidth percent 15

Thanks for all the really helpful replies........not ;o)

Anyway this is obviously a 'bug' but the workaround is real simple - reload the router............ If you make any changes to the policy-map later on and need to remove and re-add it then its another reload. Strange I know but that is the only way I can get the service policy to be applied.

As far as I can tell it must be because the Dialer interface (PPPoA) is up and connected when I am making changes. If its up and any changes (and I mean any...) are made to the Dialer interface it goes down and complains about not having a dialer string. If the changes are made and saved and then the router is reloaded it works fine.

Andy

Hi Andrew

searching on bugtoolkit etc I also feel this is software issue .

Are you running latest IOS ?

Nilesh

Nilesh

Not the very latest (12.2(15)T), I am runnning 12.2(13)T1, but this occurred on all releases of 12.2 I have tried - except 12.2(15)T as I had more severe issues with that......

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: