cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Set-based switch

asuleima
Level 1
Level 1

I have just started reading CCNP course starting with the switch, I am wondering what is the set-based switch. What is it different than the normal switch that I know.

4 Replies 4

kgraham
Level 1
Level 1

There are 2 different, let's say, types of switches. One is referred to as a set based switch. You use "set" commands to configure the device. These switches run CatOS. The other is an IOS based switch. These switches run Cisco's IOS code. The command structure is similar to configuring a router. "set" commands are not available on these switches.

The IOS switch basically has the same functionality as the set based switches, vlans, vtp domains, etc but instead of ports you are dealing with interfaces.

The structure of how you enter the command is not always the same. An example would be opening up access to a range of "termination points". An IOS switch, cannot open a range of interfaces, but you can enable a range of ports with set based switches. (I have yet to find the command to do this in a range on an IOS switch, if available please let me know.)

IE:

To enable a range of ports (set based) / unshut a range of interfaces (IOS)

set based switch

set port enable 3/1-48

IOS switch - all interfaces are default no shut, but if you administratively shut them for access control and desired to open a range of them at one time you would have to do it individually. (Example from 2950 12.1(6))

conf t

interface fa0/25

no shut

interface fa0/26

no shut

interface fa0/27

no shut

etc ......

You will also notice that the set based switch does not use "configure terminal". Commands are entered at the priveledge level prompt "#" .

Note:

This example does not include the RSM (route switch module).

I hope this helps you to start understanding the differences.

One advantage that I have discovered to the set based switches is that you don't have to save your configuration. As soon as you enter the command it's saved. Funny how seldom it's mentioned. I spent a while look for the write mem or save run start type command :)

Sometimes it's an advantage to have the possibility not to save the config changes immediately.

There is a "set config mode text" command which gives you the running and startup config possibilities similar to IOS-based switches.

Regards,

Milan

Its finally here! In this version at least 12.1(11)EA1,

IOS, more than one interface at a time.

switch(config)#int range f0/1 - 10

switch(config-if-range)#no shut

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: