cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up a network connection

cmartin0306
Level 1
Level 1

I am in the process of bringing in a dedicated T-1 and a dedicated internet connection into our facility. We have an existing network set up. I need to get the "best solution" for bringing in the dedicated T-1 and being able to set it up via a VLAN to keep it separate from my existing network, but share the fiber that interconnects the two facilities. Also, I am looking at the Cisco 2950 for bringing in the T-1 and VLAN. I have a Visio drawing of the proposed solution and would like a network expert to critique the proposal. Any help is appreciated.

5 Replies 5

arvindchari
Level 3
Level 3

IMHO in addition to using the vlan concept to separate traffic, you might want to seriously consider running the t1 through a rule based firewall for traffic coming in both (in / out) directions. Depending on the confidentiality of your data, it might even warrant the purchase of an IDS / IPS solution. A software firewall is a MUST in any case though!

HTH

Arvind

Arvind,

Thanks for your feedback. We are planning on using Fortigate firewalls in conjunction with windows XP firewall at the user's station.

johansens
Level 4
Level 4

If you would attach the visio drawing to your question, we would be able to come with some suggestions.

From your text I read "a dedicated T-1 and a dedicated internet connection"... do you mean two connections, or is it the same one?

How will your T-1 connection be terminated? If this is the internet-connection, will your ISP provide the access router or do you have to supply it? If not, how will it terminate, and what is and how will the internet-connection terminate?

Will you be using firewalls in your network? What kind of interfaces (and how many) does the firewall (if any) provide?

I'm sure it would be a lot easier for us to make suggestions with some more information (as a diagram would probably give).

Did it help? If so, please rate it.

Here is the drawing. I will be bringing in two separate connections (T-1 and Network). The main question I have is can I eliminate the cisco 1721 by using the 2950 for both T-1 termination and VLAN?

Thanks,

Hi again,

First: The 2950 can ONLY terminate ethernet-connections. If you have a T-1, it must be terminated in a router with a T-1 interface (as the 1721 with WIC-1T would have). So, no you can't eliminate the 1721...

I find the drawing to be somewhat missing in detail as to how the SECOM T-1 circuit is terminated. Is it another router in place which is then connected to the 2950? Where is the internet-connection? What is this "Network" you are referring to? Your drawing has two T-1's, you are referring to a "T-1" and a "Network"..

Your design should be separated on L2 and L3. With a L3-design, you'll get a functional overview, and can also plot in dataflows to illustrate chokepoints and implications of unit failures.

With the L2-design (and L1) you'll get a wiring-scheme and you can also plot L2-redundancy, STP-settings and VLAN-distributions to assist in troubleshooting and future design-decisions (upgrades, downtime etc.).

Hope some constructive criticism doesn't hurt..

Did it help? If so, please rate it.