Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Setting up a Network for Small Business

Hello

I have to set up a Network for a Small business of about 5 users. Can you please tell me what routers, switches and Firewall features I should be looking for ? I am not sure about the various features associated with these hardware and do not know what to look for ecxactly. Thank you in advance for all your help.

4 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Re: Setting up a Network for Small Business

Hello,

it depends on what the network is supposed to do. If you just want the 5 users to be able to talk to each other, you don't even need a router. If you need external connectivity (e.g. to the Internet), an 800 Series router would probably be sufficient, together with a small switch (does not necessarily have to be a Cisco switch, of course).

Cisco has a section on their website fro small and medium sized businesses that might be a good starting point:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns339/networking_solutions_small_medium_sized_business_home.html

Regards,

GP

Hello gpauwen

I do need external connectivity. My network will be having 3 servers -a file server, a web server and a mail server. I was thinking of a switch, firewall and router. I was not sure what features I shud be looking for in the these hardwares. Any suggestions?

Thank you

meena

Are you going to want a DMZ? What services will you be running on the servers?

I am going to need a File/print server, mail server (Running MS Exchange) and a Web server (running Apache)

Views
Helpful
Replies