cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

setting up a TFTP server

cro9uk
Level 1
Level 1

hi guys, i am trying to set up a tftp server to save all the router switch configs with no success. I have enabled the ftp server service on a client pc (static ip) also tried on my laptop but still cannot get the router to copy the config. the ftp is configured as default allowing anyone to read write. I even installed a free tftp server from solar winds but still no luck.

the error i am getting from the router is:

error opening tftp//10.10.10.10 <undefined error>

Can someone please inform me on the correct setup of a tftp server.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

have you tested 3Com 3CDaemon (ftp://ftp.3com.com/pub/utilbin/win32/3cdv2r10.zip)?

It includes TFTP, FTP, Syslog and I'm using it every day with no problem to download Cisco configs from routers and switches.

Regards,

milan

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

keith.campbell
Level 1
Level 1

Check your route in both directions..... If you can ping the FTP and TFTP servers (using the source address of the router's TFTP/FTP service) there should'nt be a problem.

Check the FTP/TFTP source address for the router, if not configured it will use the outgoing interface as the source address.

Check the FTP and TFTP server logs and status screen to see how far the connection is getting before error.

i have removed the tftp software (as it didn't work) so i am left with an ftp server. when installed though the error log showed nothing, likewise with the ftp server. the router can ping the ftp server. One thing though, we have numerous sites on the same network (10.0.0.0) seperated by subnet mask eg. site 1 is 10.3.0.0 255.255.0.0 site 2 10.4.0.0 255.255.0.0 and so on, the router will have to send the tftp file down a 10 mb wan link (point to point) is this what you mentioned could be the problem? what commands do i need to input to force the router to use the wan interface?

It should not matter how the network is addressed as long as the routing allows the router's ftp/tftp source address to reach the ftp/tftp server and back again. Are you sure you can ping using the router's tftp/ftp source address ?

If not, add the config;

ip ftp source-interface {interface}

and

ip tftp source-interface {interface}

to be sure the tftp/ftp process is using the correct source address.... then you should see activity in your server log.

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

have you tested 3Com 3CDaemon (ftp://ftp.3com.com/pub/utilbin/win32/3cdv2r10.zip)?

It includes TFTP, FTP, Syslog and I'm using it every day with no problem to download Cisco configs from routers and switches.

Regards,

milan

thanks for that, i may give the software a try if no-one can answer me this: i have found a workaround for the routers using the ftp command, but the switches (2950's) do not support the command. i can only use the tftp command which gives the same error. So my question is this, can i not simply enable an internal ftp server and also use this for tftp? i dont see any configuration options to enable this so i assumed that by default it worked as both (obviously not).

Thanks Milan for the link, this works a treat. Still using microsoft for the ftp (as it is already setup and working) but the tftp server is great. I changed the install path to the same as the ftp server so it all goes to the same place. One thing to mention for anyone else using the link - you have to keep the application minimised on the tftp server for it to work.

resolved my problem, cheers Milan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: