Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up BGP on a 1603-R?

gerry
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Does anybody know what version of IOS software I need to have running on a Cisco 1603-R to enable BGP routing? I have version 12.0(17) and when I issue the command "router bgp 65533" it comes up with the following error "Unknown Routing Protocol".

Thanks,

Gerry

4 Replies 4

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

In the 12.0 range, BGP v4 is supported only till 12.0(9a).

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

You need a different router. the 16's, and 17's do not support bgp regardless

of the version or feature set.

This is incorrect. 1600s can run BGP, the only problem is that they wont be able to handle the full internet routes. I guess you are having the IP only feature set...which usually gives the error message "unknown routing protocol".

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

vcjones
Level 5
Level 5

BGP on the 1600-R requires at least the IP-plus feature set. It is not in the base level IP feature set on this platform. According to the IOS Feature Navigator on www.cisco.com, any version (of IP Plus for 1600R) starting with 12.0(3) will get you BGP. Keep in mind that you will not have enough RAM to take full routes, but there is a lot you can do with BGP besides "running defaultless."

Good luck and have fun!

Vincent C Jones

www.networkingunlimited.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: