cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up Inter Vlan on a Cisco 2611 XM router

foxgold
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I'm trying to setup inter vlan on this router but have no idea where to start. Don't have a manual or user guide and have spent ages searching this site for such a thing. Do they exist? If so, where?

I know it's possible to do it on a 2611xm.

We have three subnets that we want to vlan on two switches > 3com 4400 in one location and Dell 5212 switch in the other. Between them is the Cisco 2611xm router which I hope to setup inter vlan routing on.

If anyone could post a link to user guides or how to's that would be appreciated. If not then perhaps you know the basic commands to get going with inter vlan routing....I've looked on my 2611xm and can't see any obvoius commands to get moving on it.

Any comments ?

Merry Xmas

2 Replies 2

kkalaycioglu
Level 4
Level 4

As far as I understand you’ve one 2600XM and two switches (4400 and 5212), all these are in the same location and these switches are connected to the router via fastethernet interfaces. You’ve some vlans (subnets) on these switces and want to preform intervlan routing. If this is the case the document http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk390/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800949fd.shtml may help to you. But some considerations: intervlan routing via an external router generally requires trunk configuration between switch and the router. Have your switches dot1q trunking capability? (I don’t even talk about ISL trunking because it’s a Cisco proprietary technology and your switches are not cisco). Have you got one or two fastethernet interfaces on the router?

mmicha
Level 1
Level 1

You may create a subinterface for each vlan. Within the ethernet subinterface apply an ip address and issue the command encapsulation dot1q (or isl) vlan#.

i.e. ecnapsulation dot1q 2

Use dot1q or isl if your switch supports it.

try the following URL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1831/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800ca6fd.html