Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up trunking

adamz
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a Cisco switch setup with a VLAN, I have just added a FDDI port. I need to add this FDDI port to the existing VLAN? I then need to setup trunking between the FDDI port and a non-cisco device already setup with a trunk?

I was wondering if anyone would have an idea on how to set this up? As it is not a Cisco device, I assume I do not use ISL, but use 802.10?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

1 Reply 1

smcquerry
Level 1
Level 1

It sounds as though you have an Ethernet VLAN on your Cisco switch that you need to trunk via FDDI to another switch and possibly an end device on that switch. If you are trunking via FDDI, you will have to use 802.10 even if both devices are Cisco. ISL only works on FastEthernet, GigabitEthernet, or 10GigabitEtherent ports.

To configure this, you will have to set up an 802.10 Trunk between the switches. Create a FDDI VLAN on the Cisco switch that matches the one on your existing switch and then Map the Ethernet VLAN on the Cisco switch to the FDDI VLAN you created.

You may want to reference the following documentation for more details.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat5000/rel_5_5/sw_cfg/fddi_tnk.htm#39904