cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

Setting up VLAN for small business

Dear All,

My network include ADSL Modem , Netgear Router (FVS114), Linksys Switch (SRW248G4, Layer 2 manager switch), Networked Printer, Network A (1-10 ports of switch), Network B (10-20 ports of switch)

The physical connection is as follows:

DSL-M

|

|

(WAN) Router

|

|

Switch---Network A & Network B

|

|

Network Printer

I wanted to setup VLAN on switch so Network A (N-A) do not talk to Network B (N-B) but N-A should be able to use internet and printer. And same should be for N-B.

In short, I want to avoid overlapping VLANS. Any suggestions will be higly regarded. Please notify if you need more information.

Regards,

Pummy Singh

2 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: Setting up VLAN for small business

Hi,

Does ur switch A and B connect to Router on diff interface or uses single interface of router

Thanks

Raj

Re: Setting up VLAN for small business

Hi Pummy,

i was understood that vlan A & vlan B should access internet, but vlan A & vlan B should not inter-connect each other but they wanted to access the internet, in that you need to have a layer-3 device(switch/router). create 3 vlans eg. vlan A,vlan B & vlan C, your internet router will on vlan C, put an access-list to deny the packets between vlan A & B & permit vlan A to vlan C & vlan B to vlan C. if you say that you don't have a layer 3 device, then you can very well setup a linux box as IGS(Internet Gateway Server)& can configure IPTABLES on it of on windows 2000 server also you can do it using the routing policy.

what is your WAN Router, is it a Cisco?

hope this helps.

rate this post if cleared.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content