cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting VTP Domain from Server to Transparent and from Client to Transparen

ekocovic
Level 1
Level 1

I have two 6500's as distribution layer which are running in Server mode. A series of Cat4000s are access layer switches running in client mode. I am looking to move the 6500s into transparent mode. as well as the 4000s. Are there any know problems with setting VTP mode from Server to Transparent, and also are there any specific steps to take? Thanks...

4 Replies 4

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

What do you want to achieve with this change?

I simple what to ensure that no changes made on any device will propagate to other

devices.

Not really any 'gotcha's' but it will take a lot more configuration on your part if you set devices to VTP transparent mode. Cisco devices are pretty good at gathering and configuring VTP information on their own. If you set the 6500's to transparent mode then you will have to manually input any VLAN changes. If that is what you want, then by all means, turn it off.

Other options include putting a VTP password on your devices so that equipment that you are not aware of cannot be accidentally introduced to your network and propagate VTP information. In all likelihood, you will want one VTP server and the rest of your switches to be clients. I have found it to work real well.

Thanks for the info...