cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

setup for internet

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all, can anyone please tell me the normal way of routing public ips into my network, we have a router and a firewall, would all public ips assigned to my company be pushed from the router to the firewalls external interface and the natting done on the pix firewall ?

3 Replies 3

desai.jaideep
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

In that case, there has to be NAT/PAT at router end also.For eg. you are getting a pool of public IPs.Now If you wish to use ServerA and serverB also to be seen from outside, then you need to do port forwarding on Router.In that case, you will have to define 2 IPs on tha LAN port of router.

Other way round is that you just give live IPs to the server itself, but that will compromise security.

Hope I am making myself clear.

Pls rate helpful posts.

Regards

JD

what is the normal practice, is all natting normally done on the router then, or the firewall ?

Hi

General if another NATing device(PIX etc) is present, its not done on the router.But in your case, you wanted to use whole pool of your public IP address, then to maximise the use of your public IPs, the given diagram has to be referenced.

Regards

JD

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: