cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setup of 1721 router for 56k frame relay

Dissidence
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, you guys have been soooo helpful for me so far.

I recently was told to network two cisco 1721 routers for 56k frame-relay, but the routers had t1 wics, not 56k.

Now we have 56k wics, but I'm having trouble seeing both router interfaces after configuration. I can ping the local area network fine, but the frame-relay side I cannot. Also, the docs say to use an IP address for the frame-relay network along with a dlci addy. I'm honestly not sure how these relate to each other.

Also, I wasn't given static IPs from my provider (and I'm not sure how frame-relay implements tcp/ip). So far, I've just been using arbitray IPs on the same subnet. Any ideas on how to configure for this?

PS I've set my routers up for eigrp but this doesn't seem to route anything...

3 Replies 3

Dissidence
Level 1
Level 1

Just realized this post looks pretty sarcastic, it is not. This forum is actually how I found out I had the wrong wics... for that much thanks! :)

Dissidence
Level 1
Level 1

Just realized this post looks pretty sarcastic, it is not. This forum is actually how I found out I had the wrong wics... for that much thanks! :)

jlebaron
Level 1
Level 1

You'll want to have your serial interfaces configured with frame-relay encapsulation.

You probably wont get an IP address from your frame-relay provider - they are there to provide you the layer 2 connection, not layer 3/4.

Your frame provider should provide you a DLCI for each end of the connection...once you get this (show frame-relay pvc) .

You'll want to address your WAN range NOT on the same subnet as your local lan...just my 2cents.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: