Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Sharing traffic across unevenely sized links..

Any ideas on a good way of doing this. I have 2 7206's with different sized DS3's and a Cat 4006 with a Layer 3 card.

What would your opinions be on how to balance the traffic better, it seems to be 50/50 right now, but our traffic load is becoming great enough to burden the smaller pipe and we are getting high latency for people coming in that pipe.

Current set up is BGP on the ATM interfaces on the 7206's, and EIGRP beetween the Routers/Switch

3 REPLIES

Re: Sharing traffic across unevenely sized links..

I can't really envision what is where from your description, but in general...

Load "sharing" accross BGP isn't an exact science so you will need to invest a lot of time on your policies.

Load balancing across unequal links is one of the EIGRP strong suits. Use the 'variance x' command, where x is anywhere from 1 to 255. For example, if metric a is 100 and you set the variance to 2, a route with a metric of up to 200 can be added to the routing table. Then use the 'traffic-share balanced' router cofing command. In the above example, one packet would go accross the link with the 200 metric for every two that go accross the link with the 100 metric.

I was not planning on balancing with BGP itself, just giving you a little background, I envision the 4006 doing the bulk of the local routing and what not, and putting it in the AS that I build for EIGRP stuff...

I just noticed that I said variance could go up to 255. I think it is actually 128. Anyway, hopefully the variance and traffic share balanced will help you out.

Views
Helpful
Replies