cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Should I be seeing BECNs and Dropped packets if I have FRTS active?

peterpaul
Level 1
Level 1

I have a T1 FR circuit with mutiple point-to-multipoint PVCs and I am using FRTS to limit the amount of traffic for each PVC. Should I still be seeing BECNs and dropped packets on these PVCs?

3 Replies 3

michael-faust
Level 1
Level 1

A BECN means that there is congestion somewhere in the forward path. From the point of view of your hub router, this could be in the far end circuit or the frame relay network itself. Work with your service providor to determine where the congestion is and take the necessary action. The links between frame relay switches are shared access. You are sharing them with the other customers. No amount of traffic shaping on your part can control the other users. But the bigger question is; are you exceeding CIR? Your service providor has commited bandwidth to you. Make sure they are delivering what you are paying for.

Thanks for the reply. Thats what I expected. How can I find out if they are delivering what I am paying for?

There are a lot of things that you can do, some by yourself and some with the help of your service providor. Contrary to popular belief, your providor probably isn't screwing you on purpose. They may have some issues, but I bet they will work with you to resolve them.

Call your providor and ask them to check the settings for CIR, burst and excess burst on all of your circuits. Make sure you and your providor agree to what the settings should be.

Have your providor look at the traffic on each PVC. Is it within CIR? Are there FECNs and BECNs? Are packets being marked DE?

Look at the far end of all of your PVCs. Are they getting FECNs? Are they getting BECNs? All of them, or some of them. This can be a clue as to the source.

Check your config. Are you sending too much traffic to a remote site? If your remote sites have a lower bandwidth than the host, they will have a lower CIR. Be sure to limit your host site transmit to the CIR of the lower speed circuit.

Don't forget about broadcasts, routing updates, and such things as CDP. They all add to the traffic sent.

Good hunting!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: