Views
Helpful
Replies

Should I create Vlans?

oalexis
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks,

I am the admin of a small network with close to 250 clients and servers over two subnets. We recently bought a 3550 switch. I have created two Vlans (1 and 2) for each subnet. We are about to upgrade our remote links to Gigabit ethernet using a 2524 at remote ends (four of them). My question is... would my network benefit in performance if I create of those remote switches in their own Vlan?... thus ending up with 6 vlans?..... or leave it as is having most of traffic off of vlan 1?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

L.Druett
Level 1
Level 1

Personally, I would...

It certainly wouldn't hurt, and you will see the obvious benefits like better network control and effieciency, (needless to mention those broadcast packets). I don't know what your security policies are, (or what industry you're in), but they would be easier to control.

Just my thoughts...

I know that broadcasts would be better controlled but would that make the network a little faster?

Many thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: