Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

should I use static or dynamic routing?

I am setting up a Frame Relay WAN between 6 offices in a hub and spoke format where the head office is the hub and each remote office is a spoke and is a "stub" network. However, apart from the primary links, there are also backup PVCs from each spoke to one of the remote offices acting as a DR site. There is also a requirement for ISDN dial-up from the remote offices to the head office in the event that the FR connection into a building goes down. Does anyone have any advice or links to useful documents that will help me decide how best to configure the routing in this type of arrangement? Thanks. Tom.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: should I use static or dynamic routing?

OSPF or EIGRP would do best for this topology. I would recommend, EIGRP with default routing, for this topology.

On the hub, when you run EIGRP, you can filter routes with a distribute-list and inject only a default route into each remote site. Use two different bandwidth statements (under each subinterface) for each PVC, depending on your CIRs for the primary and secondary PVC. I would recommend, using a lower CIR for the backup PVC, because, it would cost you less, (since you wont be using it always much).

For EIGRP over ISDN, use a dialer list with an access-list. as follows

int bri 0/0

dialer-group 1

dialer-list 1protocol ip list 101

access-list 101 deny eigrp any any (eigrp hellos wont trigger the isdn link)

access-list 101 permit ip any any

You could use static routing too, If the number of sites are less. The above configurations with EIGRP have been practically tested to be a really stable topology running over 1200 remote sites.

Hope this helps.

1 REPLY

Re: should I use static or dynamic routing?

OSPF or EIGRP would do best for this topology. I would recommend, EIGRP with default routing, for this topology.

On the hub, when you run EIGRP, you can filter routes with a distribute-list and inject only a default route into each remote site. Use two different bandwidth statements (under each subinterface) for each PVC, depending on your CIRs for the primary and secondary PVC. I would recommend, using a lower CIR for the backup PVC, because, it would cost you less, (since you wont be using it always much).

For EIGRP over ISDN, use a dialer list with an access-list. as follows

int bri 0/0

dialer-group 1

dialer-list 1protocol ip list 101

access-list 101 deny eigrp any any (eigrp hellos wont trigger the isdn link)

access-list 101 permit ip any any

You could use static routing too, If the number of sites are less. The above configurations with EIGRP have been practically tested to be a really stable topology running over 1200 remote sites.

Hope this helps.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content