Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Show ip bgp not showing all BGP Paths

Hi,

We've setup BGP as shown in the diagram.

Drawing2.jpg

Now Router Router A and B are peers of each other. Router A peers with ISP A and Router B peers with Router B.

The issue we have is that Router B knows how to get to router C via eBGP connection to ISP B router or via ISP A, which is advertised via iBGP from Router A.

But ....

Router A only shows in "show ip bgp" about network Router C via ISP A.

If I do a soft clear of bgp information on Router A I then see both paths to Router C via ISP A or ISPB, but once BGP is converged im only seeing best path via ISP A. Can anyone explain why the path via ISP B is not shown on Router A? we are using local preference in a route map to say prefer router A over Router B to exit the network to get to router C.

Synchronisation is disabled. Router A and B are running the same code of IOS and also have similiar configs.

My assumption is that becuase of the local preference Router A stops listing path via Router B in the BGP table. This thought doesnt make complete sense to me ???? In my test lab I always see all paths to exit the AS.

router#show ip bgp 192.168.100.0     
BGP routing table entry for 192.168.100.0/22, version 40
Paths: (2 available, best #2, table default)
  Not advertised to any peer
  65530 64514, (aggregated by 64514 10.x.x.246)
    10.x.x.30 from 10.x.x.30 (202.x.x.x)
      Origin IGP, localpref 80, valid, external, atomic-aggregate
  65530 64514, (aggregated by 64514 10.202.103.246)
    10.x.x.22 from 10.x.x.78 (10.x.x.78)
      Origin IGP, metric 0, localpref 120, valid, internal, atomic-aggregate, best

Thanks

B

2 REPLIES

Re: Show ip bgp not showing all BGP Paths

I've just lab'd this and it is the local preference.

If I remove my route map I see all paths as expected. Once I apply my route-map which matches ips and assigns the local preference then I see the shown behaviour.

Note to self - lab first before posting on cisco support forum

Re: Show ip bgp not showing all BGP Paths

Hi B,

Can you issue command to find out reasons why that route is not installed in bgp

show ip bgp rib-failure

will be helpful to know reasons

Regards

Mahesh

Views
Helpful
Replies