cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Show IP route on 7200 only shows best route

glenn.newman
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to show all configured routes. I do a "show ip route x.x.x.x [255.255.255.255]" and only get the best route.

10 Replies 10

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Routing table shows only the best routes, that are used. Depending on the routing protocol used, you can use other commands, to determine, what all routes have been received by the router.

for EIGRp show ip eigrp topology

for OSPF show ip ospf data

for BGP show ip bgp

etc.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

I have a related question, how can I see multiple routes to the same destination. I know I have two ways of getting to a network but when I do a show ip route x.x.x.x, I only get one route and its metric that shows up. I want to compare the metrics.

what routing protocol ?

I am setting multiple static routes with different metrics. I suppose I can do a "show ip route [x.x.x.x] [255.255.255.255] static". I guess I was expecting it to show me all the routes it had along with metrics. This is the way I thought I remembered it working on lower platforms. Maybe this was IOS 11.x behavior.

You can set static route with "ip route [dest-net] [mask] [next-hope] [admin-dist]" and make sure you type in a correct [next-hope] address or you won't see the route in the routing table.

You also can change the [admin-dist] (default is 1) to number you like(<90), but remember static route always has 0 as a next hope.

To show the content of routing table type "Show ip route" at the priviledge mode(#)

In this case, i think the best option would be to see the running config and comare the metrics.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Routing protocol is protocol which dynamically find all the networks in the internetwork used by router. ex: RIP, IGRP,EIGRP etc.

cpapilaya
Level 1
Level 1

Have you tried to do "Show ip route" at privileged mode without ip address and subnet mask. When you typed in the ip adds and sub-mask , it'll display only the route which you typed in.

I think that is correct, when I saw all routes in the past, it was when I did a "show ip route". This isn't practical in this case because I am taking in all BGP routes from the Internet. Thanks everyone for your help.

Brain flash, output modifers to include static only. I believe I can do a "show ip route | include S".