show proc cpu output question

Erick Bergquist
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

router#show proc cpu

CPU utilization for five seconds: 15%/15%; one minute: 15%; five minutes: 13%

But all the processes are at 0.00%

Where is the 15% coming from? I understand subtracting the two and them equaling 0 means theres no process/CPU events occuring, but how to explain 15%?

I have checked the cisco high cpu links and it doesn't explain this.

This is from a 7206VXR with 12.2(13)T9.

PA-8T-232 in slot 6

Mx serial Port adapter, 4 ports in slot 4,5,6

slot 3, PA-VXA-1TE1-24+

slot 2, PA-2CT3=

slot 1, PA-2T3+= Serial

slot 0, C7200-I/O-2FE/E

3 Replies 3

Hello,

the command show proc cpu output you see is most likely caused by interrupts, which are not reflected in any actual process.

CISCO 7500 SERIES ROUTERS

Troubleshooting High CPU Utilization Due to Interrupts

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/routers/ps359/products_tech_note09186a00801c2af0.shtml

Regards,

Georg

Erick Bergquist
Level 6
Level 6

Update. Forgot some info. Also looked at interrupt troubleshooting doc and did steps there and everything is fine there. CEF is running everywhere and hardly any drops, everything fast/CEF switched under show int switching, etc.

One line in the interrupt troubleshooting said voice ports count for CPU but thats about it in troubleshooting doc. This has a PRI for IPT/VoIP and 2 T3s so lots going on. Every serial interface is a PPP link to remote site with LLQ.

I realize 15-20% is good, but need to be able to better explain where the % number is coming from and be able to back it up with client.

Check the output of show align--if there's nothing recorded there, then this is straight traffic switching, which happens in interrupt context on this router. It sounds like normal operation, to me....

If you're interested in a detail explaination, take a look at inside cisco ios software architecture.

:-)

Russ.W