cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Simple Routing issue

psandico
Level 1
Level 1

We have a fairly simple LAN networkk of 90 users. A DSL internet connection with Cisco 678 as the DSU/CSU. I pc with two NICS using a Linux Mandrake to do the NAT'g. One internal subnet. I wanted to create a lab environmnet in a (diff subnet diff domain) so I used a 1600R router so we can have internet access from our lab. Configured the IP's on the interfaces, created a default route to our gateway. Tried to ping the gateway from within our lab, I get a timeout. Do I need to enter access list to permit traffic from the lab subnet to the other subnet

4 Replies 4

svermill
Level 4
Level 4

You do not need an access list. It sounds as if you are not running a routing protocol on this p-t-p connection between the 678 and the 1600? If that is the case, I suspect you might need a static route in the 678 pointing towards the 1600.

Scott

Thanks for responding. I think based on what you said I have to create a static route from the Linux router to the 1600r(which is the next hop). The internal side of the Linux router is the gateway to the internet from subnet A. I have a 1600 between a and b. Any host from B cannot ping the gateway router on subnet A BUT I can ping it from the 1600. I have default route to the gateway(linux) router on the 1600. Do I need another route perhaps Will it be okay to email you directly. Or you can email me directly if you have any advice. Thanks!!! psandico@wmgf.net

michael
Level 1
Level 1

you might have a couple of things that could be going wrong here. First make sure your default route on the 1600r is the private side of the Linux box NIC card. To really answer this question in more detail I would need to know if you can ping the inside and outside NIC's of the Linux box. Also if the gateway that you are trying to ping is a public IP and your 1600R is not pinging then it could be a NAT issue. Another thing is that sure your Linux box has a route back to the 1600R. So there could be a few things causing this problem but I would need more details to help you any further.

Michael

Thanks for responding Micheal. The gateway is the internal side of the Linux router/firewall. Our production network is behind the Linux Firewall and between the production and lab network is the 1600. I have no problem pinging the gateway from the 1600 but a problem pinging the gateway from a host in the lab network. I have a default route set on the 1600 to the internal gateway(internal side of Linux)in the production subnet side. All interfaces e1 and e0 are up each connected in thier respective subnets in 'sh ip route". Maybe I am missing a routing statement. All I want is the lab subnet to use the gateway to get internet access

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco