Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

simple vlan interface question

I setup two additional vlans on a new switch, trunked to existing network switches and enabled VTP. All switches now see the other vlans. I tested with a server which works on vlan 1 but as soon as I move it to another vlan, it can't even ping the switch. I am guessing this is becuase the switch interface is set up as vlan 1. So, my question is, can I use the same ip address for vlan 2 and 3? If so, do I just use the int vlan2 command and assign the same ip address? If not, I'll assume, I need to use the int vlan2 command and assign a different address in the same subnet. Please advise...

3 REPLIES
Silver

Re: simple vlan interface question

In order to route between the vlans ( going from vlan 2 ----> vlan 1 ) , you need an ip address on interface vlan 2 that is different from vlan 1 ip address . You cannot use the same ip addres for 2 different vlans. Keep in mind you will also have to readdress your clients beside just adding the vlan interface ip .

thanks

Salman Z.

The existing network has never been vlanned. We now have blade servers in an enclosure with a switch attached.I have 4 servers on the switch in the enclosure that are trunked to a switch to an app server farm in subnet 192.168.168.X.

The other 4 servers are trunked to a switch in the web server farm in subnet 192.168.252.X.

vlan 1 (native) has an ip address 192.168.168.222. What is the best way to divide and conquer here? Can I leave the native as is, so I don'thave to change all the switch ports on the existing app server farm (subnet 192.168.168.x)?

Then I only need to create vlan 2 to the other subnet (192.168.252.x). In this case, all the other existing servers on the existing switches will have to be assigned to vlan 2. Am I thinking logically here?

I have a couple of suggestions:

> verify that the vlans are being setup on the VTP domain server and not a VTP client/transparent.

> verify that the all switches (except the VTP server) are in client mode so that they may pickup the VLAN changes.

> verify that the vlans being trunked are allowed.

> keep in mind that VLAN's can be defined per port where trunking is concerned. You can have subnet 192.168.252.x on port 1 and subnet 192.168.222.x on port 2.

> not sure which switch you are using but the {int range} command if available is awesome for changing many ports at one time.

hope any of this helps.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content