cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

simple ? you tell me ive checked and it seems to work any surprises?

ldodd
Level 1
Level 1

is the following valid ? i have both theses lines on a remote lan router

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 "internet router"

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 "serial link on remote router" 128

the desired effect is to have INTERNET ROUTER be Gateway of last resort

if this router loses its internet link then "serial link on remote router" should be used

we are running EIGRP

will this work as i have described?

4 Replies 4

v-nguyen
Level 1
Level 1

The first desired effect will work since the default static route pointing to Internet has administrative distance of 1. The second desired effect will not work as "desired" because you've specified an admin distance of 128. EIGRP has default admin distance of 90 to if your route to Internet is not available, the next best route will be via EIGRP.

csplau
Level 1
Level 1

Are you connecting to the same ISP? If not, you might have IP routing issue because of both ISPs are holding unique ip subnet and you cannot implement "cross" routing in case of any one is down.

ldodd
Level 1
Level 1

thabks to all for your replies!

It wont work because your router cant tell when the internet router looses its link to the internet. It will only work if the interface facing the internet router goes down. Then the static route will drop.

To make it work you need to run routing protocol to the internet router and learn a default route from it. It should stop advertising the default when it looses its link.