cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

single T-1 with 2 blocks of IP's?

sullend
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2600 series router with a single T-1.

My ISP had given me 32 addresses:

208.254.148.0 /27

I had assigned 208.254.149.1 as my address for my ethernet router interface.

Then, recently I started to run low on IPs and I contacted my ISP for some more addresses.

They have given me another bank of addresses but they are not contiguous to my exsiting address bank.

The new address block is:

65.137.125.0/27

How do I associate my single Ethernet interface with both sets of IP addresses?

Thanks for any advice!

Dale

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

here is an example how you do it:

Router#conf t

Router(config)#interface ethernet0

Router(config-if)#ip address 62.223.213.1 255.255.0.0 secondary

So basically you just add the keyword secondary.

Regards,

Georg

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

travis-dennis_2
Level 7
Level 7

Looks like MCI as the ISP? One way to go is that they will give you a differnet IP address to put on the routers outside interface (a WAN address) and they will handle the routing and you can just start assiging the IP addresses. I think you can also put a secondary IP address on the router for the new block IP address 65.137.125.210 255.255.255.248 secondary and that should allow you to use the new IPs as well. I am a voice and VPN guy so if this information is horribly incorrect I beg your forgivness. You get what you pay for :) I am sure you will get a pro answer shortly

Yes MCI is the ISP provider, my serial interface is on there network using there IP so I dont have to "route" ..still not sure how to assign the second address to the Ethernet interface..

much appreciated.

Thanks again...

Dale,

I agree with Travis/Dennis, I think the easiest way is to just assign a secondary IP address to your Ethernet interface.

Regards,

Georg

Thanks! Now I have a really dumb question, how do you assign a second address to the interface?

Thanks!

Hi,

here is an example how you do it:

Router#conf t

Router(config)#interface ethernet0

Router(config-if)#ip address 62.223.213.1 255.255.0.0 secondary

So basically you just add the keyword secondary.

Regards,

Georg

appreciate it...