Views
Helpful
Replies

situations to prefer ospf over eigrp

sivakondalarao
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

i have seen somewhere in cisco documentaion " in high availability routed access layer campus network design ospf protocol instead of eigrp"

are there any scenarios to prefer ospf over eigrp except the one " some are non-cisco some are cisco"

Regards

skrao

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

The biggest reason to choose OSPF over EIGRP is the fact that EIGRP is proprietary. Apart from that, both protocols are highly scalable, fast-converging IGPs.

In fact, EIGRP provides a bit more flexibility than OSPF in some circumstances e.g. it allows summarisation at arbitrary points within the network unlike OSPF, where you can only do so at ABRs.

Both protocols require careful design since badly designed EIGRP networks will suffer from Stuck-in-active conditions and badly designed OSPF networks will result in a lot of CPU-intensive SPF calculations.

Given proper design, both protocols can scale to very large networks.

Pls do remember to rate posts.

Paresh

View solution in original post

Grouping them into areas gives you the benefit of reducing the scope of SPF calculations and also allows summarisation. You could certainly do something very similar with EIGRP. That is certainly not the major reason why you would choose OSPF over EIGRP.

From a personal perspective, if I were to deploy a network today, I would be using OSPF, not EIGRP. While I have said above that EIGRP is just as good as OSPF, I just would not want inter-operability issues in the future should I decide to interwork with products from another vendors... that's just my take on it.

Paresh

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

The biggest reason to choose OSPF over EIGRP is the fact that EIGRP is proprietary. Apart from that, both protocols are highly scalable, fast-converging IGPs.

In fact, EIGRP provides a bit more flexibility than OSPF in some circumstances e.g. it allows summarisation at arbitrary points within the network unlike OSPF, where you can only do so at ABRs.

Both protocols require careful design since badly designed EIGRP networks will suffer from Stuck-in-active conditions and badly designed OSPF networks will result in a lot of CPU-intensive SPF calculations.

Given proper design, both protocols can scale to very large networks.

Pls do remember to rate posts.

Paresh

no paresh,

I have seen one document, in that core switches are in area 0 , distribution switches are acting as ABRs, data center- management center-server farm- corporate internet- wan - access buildings are in different areas.

grouping them into areas give any benefit than EIGRP?

Regards

skrao

Grouping them into areas gives you the benefit of reducing the scope of SPF calculations and also allows summarisation. You could certainly do something very similar with EIGRP. That is certainly not the major reason why you would choose OSPF over EIGRP.

From a personal perspective, if I were to deploy a network today, I would be using OSPF, not EIGRP. While I have said above that EIGRP is just as good as OSPF, I just would not want inter-operability issues in the future should I decide to interwork with products from another vendors... that's just my take on it.

Paresh