Cisco Support Community
Community Member

SLIP set-up.

Has anyone setup a SLIP connection so that they can dial into a Catalyst 5000/6000 via the console port?

I want to be able to dial into a Catalyst 5000/6000 from my home.

How do I setup my PC to dial into the modem (the modem I will dial into will obviously be connected to the Catalyst)? For example, can I use hyperterminal or do I need special SLIP software?

It's baffling me and I can't find anything on CCO.

Thanks in adnace for any replies!

Community Member

Re: SLIP set-up.

The beauty of using modems is that the end devices don't even know that they exist. Simply configure and connect the modem to the console port on the Cat. Go home and dial into the remote modem. Once the connection is made from local modem to remote modem, the connection from PC to Cat is established as though they were directly connected. Use Hyperterminal or most any communications software. Two other things to remember; 1) When configuring the remote modem be sure to disable the option "DTE speed follows connection speed" and then lock the speed to 9600. 2) Don't forget security. If you can dial in, so can anyone else!!!

Cisco Employee

Re: SLIP set-up.

Here is a page on CCO which tells you how to connect/configure a Modem to the Console Port on Catalyst Switches

For SLIP cofiguration, the following page should help

CreatePlease to create content