Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Slow 2950

I have a 2950-48 at a customer site running 12.1(19)EA1 and it is responding very slowly. When I do a show process cpu it is saying that spanning tree is using 32% of the CPU. I have a couple other 2950s that are all running at 3%. The total CPU utilization is sitting at 99%. I cant find any reason as to why this is happening. We have pulled portfast off of all the ports and spanning tree has whatever defaults are set on. Any ideas as to what is happening? This switch is connected to a testing center and they are experienceing problems because of it.

3 REPLIES

Re: Slow 2950

J,

How many links do you have between this switch and others? Is there more than one stp link? Can you snif some links and see how many BPDUs are coming through? Also how many VLANs are you using?

What is your topology? Are you using defaults for STP settings?

-Bo

this switch is at the bottom of a stack in a hub and spoke topology. There are 2 VLANS on the switch. One data and one voice. Currently there is no voice going across these links. I have pruning enables so no other vlan traffic should go through this switch either. It connects to a 3550-24 via g0/1 which in turn goes back to a 6509 at the core. I will have to go up to the switch in order to capture some traffic. What shoudl I be looking for? I do not use sniffer very often.

The sniffer should decode BPDUs as BPDUs. Can you tell me more about your network not just this switch....

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content