Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

slow application response

we have a switched network with 200 workstations and 10 Novell servers, and we are feeling that application response has slowed down over the years..

and when i check the switches i see loads of CRC errors but only on couple of ports..and collisions on 1 port. any ideas..?

3 REPLIES

Re: slow application response

This sounds like a classic. CRC errors and collisions - CHECK THE DUPLEX SETTINGS! On the ports in question, check the network adaptor capabilites on the PC. If it is only capable of 10MB Half duplex, go to the switch config and fix the speed as 10MB and duplex as half duplex. Autonegotiation of the speed and duplex is very dodgy - trust me! Reset the stats and watch to see if the errors persist. If they do, you might have fault NIC (network adaptors).

Let me know how you go on with setting the speed/duplex, I'm confident it will do the trick!

Regards,

Darren.

Cisco Employee

This problem may be a duplex mismatch. There should be no errors on the port when operating a full-duplex. Check out the following web sites for other useful technical tips: www.cisco.com/warp/customer/473/46.html

I agree...sounds like a classic duplex setting mismatch or a faulty NIC. I have run into this many times...If the errors do not re-appear, you might wnat to look at latency due to utlization issues on you segments or even the nodes...basically, the same news.

Tony

Views
Helpful
Replies