cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Slow login from clients on C4006

jenniferford
Level 1
Level 1

I just installed my first cat. 4006 switch this weekend. I am flying blind and do not really know what I am doing. Previously I had 3com switches.

I setup passwords, then went into int sc0 and setup an ip address and 1 vlan and gateway. We do not have a DNS server here, so I did not setup DNS. Our network is pretty simple, 4 NT servers, 100 clients running 95, nt or w2k. and a bunch of printers, as well as connection to a 3006 router and a 1700 router for WAN connections. I started plugging in users and testing systems for connectivity.

NT stations receive an error message on login to the effect of: No domain can be located, will use cached profile, changes to you profile since your last long will not be available. (note - we do not use roaming profiles). Login continues, connections to all server, even across the wan are available. Can ping and connect to the PDC across the wan as well as all BDC's local. Total time for login takes about 50 seconds. Much longer than before.

W2k systems do not receive an error message, but, the login time is about 1 min.

Any assistance would be very appreciated.

2 Replies 2

nelcnetworks
Level 4
Level 4

This sounds like you need to set portfast on the ports connected to your hosts. This will reduce the time for forwarding to commence to approx. 5 secs instead of the 30 default. This will be a problem if you are using DHCP

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have you enabled Spanning-tree portfast? The following page should help

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/12.html