Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

slow network

i am having network neighborhood browsing problem. sometimes it works and sometimes very slow and most of the times it just cant browse the network.

i found a log on the console, but am just not sure whether this helps in solving the problem or not.

2004 Jan 29 13:20:34 %ETHC-5-PORTFROMSTP:Port 4/38 left bridge port 4/38

2004 Jan 29 13:20:56 %ETHC-5-PORTTOSTP:Port 4/38 joined bridge port 4/38

thanks a lot in advance.

3 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: slow network

Best thing to do when you experience slow performance is to identify one small activity that is "slow". For example: " When I try to access a particular computer via the Network Neighborhood window, it takes 15 minutes for the PC to bring up the folders on that PC ".

Once you have a clearly defined action that is always "slow", then you SPAN the affected switch port and repeat the action. The sniffer trace can then be analysed to determined what is causing the slowness. Sniffer trace will show whether the problem is due to a congested network, a PC that is not responding quickly ( for whatever reason )or dropped packets shown by a very high number of TCP retransmissions in the session.

If the problem is found to be network related, i.e, the switches or routers between the 2 devices is dropped frames, then investigate every single link between the 2 devices. Look for alignment errors, fcs errors, runts and any other kind of layer 2 errors. Also verify that the ports are not congested by looking at the output buffer drop counter.

VIP Purple

Hola,

if the message in the log is the only one you are seeing, your switch configuration is fine, this message is only informational and tells you that a device has been connected to the switchport. Before looking any further you might want to check if it is the network that is slow, or if your machine is just slow browsing it, which might have something to do with name resolution. You can use a utility like PingPlotter (you can download it at www.pingplotter.com) and check the PING response times over a longer period of time. Which OS are you using on your client, and which Network Interface Card ?

Regards,

Georg

Anonymous
N/A

The console log message indicates that the physical port disconnected from the logical port. [dec]/[dec] is the module number/port number, and [dec]/[chars] is the module number/port range. Slow network problem you are facing might be caused by a faulty network cable or card. Sometime it might be caused by duplex miss match between the client NIC and the switch port itself.

Views
Helpful
Replies