Views
Helpful
Replies

slow response to ping

amisu
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

i have catalyst 3548 running ios ver 12.0(5.3)WC(1)

when i ping to his address i get a slow response

and from time to time i get request time out

Reply from 172.16.0.103: bytes=32 time=129ms TTL=254

Reply from 172.16.0.103: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=254

i reset the device but it still slow responsding to ping

i did not get comments from the connected users

and i did'nt try to upgrade (it may resolve the problem?!).

is there a reason for that?

5 Replies 5

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you try pinging a device on the switch rather than the management IP on the switch and see if you see the same response

i did try it

and the host behind that switch is response very good

I would not worry too much about that switches are not ment to reply to pings because they are layer 2 devices, and all higher layer functions are not handeled by switching hardware but by the management processor witch can be bussy with spanning tree several management sessions snmp and so on, check your management cpu load with show process cpu and do not mix this up with the entire switch performance as it has little to do with this.

Good. Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) request and reply processing is a low priority task for the switch and many more important tasks are given precedence over ping response generation.

However, pings through the switch, where the ICMP echo request and reply are seen by the switch simply as data frames. The response latency will be the round-trip forwarding delay through the switch (usually very short, in the order of microseconds), plus the latency of the IP stacks in processing and responding to the ping requests and replies, and any other delay in the network that the ICMP packets must traverse (for example, multiple router hops).

thanks for the response but...

i know about the low priority task

but i have up to 350 switches and no one

do that problem

so i will try to upgrade it ios and may be it will help me.

thanks again