Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
You may experience some slow load times, errors, and slight inconsistencies. We ask for your patience as we finalize the launch. Thank you.

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

sniffing on a switch based network

Using network monitor and/or sniffer is impossible these days because of the popularity of switches. I usually carry a small hub with me so that I can connect routers and other devices to the same collision domain as my sniffer. What is going to happen when my hub dies and I can't buy another? What techniques can I use to troubleshoot using a sniffer on a switch based network?

Thanks,

Diego

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Silver

Re: sniffing on a switch based network

Diego,

Most switches have a port mirroring capability these days to get around the switching functions to allow for sniffers to work properly. Cisco calls this function SPAN (switch port analyzer). Check out this link on SPAN.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps679/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008007ef1f.html

There is also RSPAN as well if you are interested in this feature.

Hope this is what you were looking for,

Don

2 REPLIES
Silver

Diego,

Most switches have a port mirroring capability these days to get around the switching functions to allow for sniffers to work properly. Cisco calls this function SPAN (switch port analyzer). Check out this link on SPAN.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps679/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008007ef1f.html

There is also RSPAN as well if you are interested in this feature.

Hope this is what you were looking for,

Don

Looks like what I need.

Thanks!

Diego

Views
Helpful
Replies