cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP and ACL's on CatOS

rkennedy
Level 1
Level 1

I have put the following SNMP with ACL restrictions in place on my IOS based devices and I want to know can I use the same configuration on my CatOS devices with the same results. Here is the config:

no snmp-server community public RO

no snmp-server community private RW

snmp-server community CoolString RO 21

snmp-server community BetterString RW 21

snmp-server host 10.10.11.34 private

snmp-server system-shutdown

access-list 21 permit 192.168.0.1

Thanks,

Richard Kennedy

rkennedy@opers.org

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

eric_garnel
Level 1
Level 1

You can use the "set ip permit" command to allow only certain ip addresses or ranges to access the switch for management purposes

View solution in original post

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

If you want to use several community strings (public, CoolString, e.g.) at the same time you can use "set snmp community-ext" command (available since CatOS 7.5(1)).

But using IP permit you can just specify which IP addresses are allowed to send SNMP commands generally but not particular community strings as in IOS.

E.g.: "set ip permit 192.168.0.1 snmp" allows PC with 192.168.0.1 IP address to send any SNMP command without specifying the community string permitted as is with IOS

Regards,

Milan

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

eric_garnel
Level 1
Level 1

You can use the "set ip permit" command to allow only certain ip addresses or ranges to access the switch for management purposes

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

If you want to use several community strings (public, CoolString, e.g.) at the same time you can use "set snmp community-ext" command (available since CatOS 7.5(1)).

But using IP permit you can just specify which IP addresses are allowed to send SNMP commands generally but not particular community strings as in IOS.

E.g.: "set ip permit 192.168.0.1 snmp" allows PC with 192.168.0.1 IP address to send any SNMP command without specifying the community string permitted as is with IOS

Regards,

Milan

Great, thank you to all that have replied.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: