Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

SNMP email with Portsecurity

Can I use SNMP to set a trap that emails me when a new MAC address is introduced to a switch using PortSecurity?

I have prot security enabled on my switches in shutdown mode now, and an CiscoWorks LMS. The problem is havinig the switches in shutdown mode is becoming a pain becuse of mobile users. Since LMS can be used to send email notifications via snmp when WAN changes can it email when port changes MAC?

Thanks

Andy

1 REPLY
Silver

Re: SNMP email with Portsecurity

Yes, in shut down mode, it is possible to send SNMP trap, when a security violation occurs in a switch port.But for this, the port security should be enabled in shutdown mode, not in violation mode.

According to the port security config of cat6500 switch,

If a security violation occurs, the Link LED for that port turns orange, and a link-down trap is sent to the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) manager. An SNMP trap is not sent if you configure the port for restrictive violation mode. A trap is sent only if you configure the port to shut down during a security violation.

For detailed info, refer this link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008007fa13.html

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content