Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP/ICMP Up-Down monitoring of Non-Cisco device with DFM

Has anybody had any success monitoring non-cisco devices with DFM? All I need is up/down status. I've been able to add an SNMP agent to the noncisco devices and pull out basic information about the device, but I'm unable to access the device.

In theory, if I can access the DO NOT POLL group, I should be able to tell when the device is accessible from ICMP, but not accessible from SNMP.

Has anyone had anyluck with this? The specific devices are mostly HP and Cabletron managed switches.

Thanks in advance,

Christopher Young

2 Replies 2

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

For majority of fault management features, DFM uses cisco mibs only on the device and for non-cisco devices it may not work. As for the up/down and getting basic info, that is from the RFC based MIBs which are not cisco specific and will work on other non-cisco devices as well.

From: http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/rtrmgmt/cw2000/dfm/dfm_faq.htm#1023479

Q) What is DFM not meant to be used for?

A) Server/desktop fault analysis, or network-wide/multivendor fault analysis

What is required for monitoring of non-cisco devices for simple up/down status. I understand that it should be available as long as you have SNMP Read access to the devices and layer 3 (IP) connectivity.

Is there anything else required to make this work?

Thanks in advance!

Christopher