Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

SNMP on Catalyst 2950 switch - possible?

How can I add SNMP to my Catalyst 2950 switch? and what will this give me with regards to network monitoring etc. A lot of my networks go through this device and I what to get stats on port etc. I really hope you can help here.

11 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: SNMP on Catalyst 2950 switch - possible?

VIP Purple

Hello,

basically, the 2950 is fully SNMP-capable, which means that you can configure traps, enable syslogging, and pull anything with a MIB value from an SNMP management system (such as HP OpenView), including interface (utilization) statistics.

A basic SNMP configuration would look like this:

snmp-server community readonly ro

snmp-server community readwrite rw

snmp-server enable traps

snmp-server host X.X.X.X (where X.X.X.X is the IP address of your management station)

There is a whole chapter on CCO regarding SNMP configuration on the 2950, which might be worth looking at, here is the link:

2950 Configuring SNMP

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat2950/12122ea5/2950scg/swsnmp.htm

HTH,

GP

Hello,

I am having a different problem. I am using IP Switch whatsup tool to monitor my netowrk

I have enabled snmp in my swtiches and my tool is able to get snmp responses from switches

The problem is the MIB's contain OID's. I couldnt figure out which OID should I look into and which should I ignore.

Is there an documentation, that could explain me how OIDs are organised in MIBs.

For example I want to monitor memory usage of my router, after configuring snmp and adding mibs. how would I know which OID would give me the router memory status

Thanks,

Chandru

Purple

Hi Chandru,

Here's what you should do. Firstly, go to the following site which will give you a list of MIBs supported on the 2950:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800d84cc.html

Then, open up the Cisco SNMP Object Navigator at:

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/SNMP/do/BrowseOID.do?local=en

Within that, click on 'View and Download MIBs' and then select the MIBs you are interested in to download/view them.

As an example, you can get counters on memory pools from the CISCO-MEMORY-POOL-MIB

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Regards,

Paresh.

Purple

Hi again...

You can get all of your relevant memory OIDs from CISCO-MEMORY-POOL-MIB

However, there is also the old version 1 OLD-CISCO-MEMORY-MIB which you may find simpler to look at... You can get it here..

ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/mibs/v1/OLD-CISCO-MEMORY-MIB.my;type=a

Hope that helps,

Paresh.

Hi Paresh,

Thanks for your help. It makes good sense. I will try this today. Thanks again.

Thanks,

I simply added "snmp-server community password1234" and access-list 1 permit 10.10.10.3 (SNMP server) and I can now connect. What do I now have to do to get it to log to the syslog server, at say warning level?

Purple

Just add the following:

logging

logging trap warnings

Hope that helps - pls rate helpful posts.

Regards,

Paresh

Paresh,

Is warning an ok level to set it at or will I get too many syslog messages, maybe up it to error level? What do you set yours to?

is logging on reqired too?

VIP Purple

Hello,

logging level 'warning' is actually a pretty common logging level. It will generate traps on warning conditions, and system operation status.

'Logging on' is not required if you have an SNMP management IP address defined with the 'logging x.x.x.x' command. 'Logging on' would enable logging for all destinations including buffer and monitor logging. Unless you want/need that as well, do not use 'logging on'...

HTH,

GP

Purple

Howdy,

As Georg indicated, you will attract a reasonable amount of warnings if you set the level to that.

However, that is what we do... It's better to have too much information (that you can later filter) than not to capture it in the first place.

TRy it out and see how you go.. it's not likely to kill your server so you can safely trial it before deciding what to do..

Hope that helps.. pls rate helpful posts.

Paresh.

Views
Helpful
Replies