cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP Question/Problem

mikejr
Level 1
Level 1

When I enable SNMP on my 1600 series router for the community of "API", I get the following error message. "00:27:20: %IP_SNMP-3-SOCKET: can't open UDP socket" Is this message normal, or is there a problem. Looking forward to your help.

TIA,

Mike

3 Replies 3

dbroenen
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mike. Which IOS version are you running? Also, were any IP addresses configured on any interfaces at the time you enabled SNMP? Answers to these questions will help in replying to your question. Cheers.

todd-m
Level 1
Level 1

Error Message

%IP_SNMP-3-SOCKET: can't open UDP socket

Explanation The SNMP server was unable to open a port for receiving or transmitting SNMP requests. This usually happens when the SNMP server is started using the snmp-server community configuration command on a router or communication server with an interface that has no IP address configured. Another possible cause is low memory.

Recommended Action Configure at least one interface with an IP address or specify the no snmp-server command to remove the SNMP server process. Call your technical support representative if the problems persist or if it becomes necessary to add memory.

i tried configuring snmp command on a 1600 with no ip addresses on the interfaces. But i am not getting any messages like the above one. So most likely the reason could be due to low memory.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco