cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP settings used by the ANI Server sample configs

larry.brown
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone provide me a sample for the community strings used by the ANI Server that they have used for their network? The syntax Ciscoworks 2000 lists is as follows:

target:read_community::timeout:retries::::write_commmunity

This is just a little ambiguous to me. I would really appreciate it.

2 Replies 2

minielsen
Level 2
Level 2

This is exactly the same syntax used by HP OV NNM. If you have a NNM system running just copy/paste. There is a GUI for this configuration in NNM. You can start it with the command xnmsnmpconf. The GUI for ANI is textbased only. If you don't have access to a NNM system I can send you a sample. Plase contact me offline.

gxsd
Level 1
Level 1

target:read_community::timeout:retries::::write_commmunity

Larry do the following:

1. If your hostname and domain is:

larry.net.micro.com then the "target" portion of this string should read *.*.*.*: -this will apply the following community, timeout and retries to all devices. * is a wildcard, if you want a single device you need to specify as a separate line.

2. Replace "read_community" with your actual read community string. If your read community string is "wysiwyg" the sample will now look like this:

*.*.*.*:wysiwyg::

3. Replace the word "timeout" with a value in seconds. The sample will now look like:

*.*.*.*:wysiwyg::30:

4. Replace the word "retries" with the number of times you want to attempt to contact this device should an attempt fail. The sample now looks like:

*.*.*.*:wysiwyg::30:2::::

5. Replace "write_community" with your actual write community string. If your write community string is "itworks" the sample will now look like this:

*.*.*.*:wysiwyg::30:2::::itworks

Hope this explains it,

Greg St. Martin