Helpful
Replies

SNMP Trap device ID

pvandenbrink
Level 1
Level 1

Guys,

Does anybody know?

If a router is sending an snmp trap then the packet contains 3 IP addresses.

1-destination

2-source

3-Agent address

The Agent address (device ID) for this trap is most of the time the same as the source address.

But....this is not always, sometimes it´s an ethernet or loopback address. It looks like it´s always the highest ip address. But it also depends on IOS releases.

How can I make the Agent address fixed?

The funny thing is that when ISDN is coming up with a higher IP address then it looks that you get traps from an other device. This makes monitoring not easy.

Anybody know?

Thanks,

Regards Perry.

3 Replies 3

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

You can use the CLI command:

snmp-server trap-source here. Do a ? at the end of the command to see the various options for interfaces.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply but I wish it would be that simple. I not talking about the source address!!!

I´m talking about the Agent address. Both the source and Agent address appears in de Traplogd. It´s the Agent address that appears on Netcool in case of an event and not the source address.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply but I wish it would be that simple. I not talking about the source address!!!

I´m talking about the Agent address. Both the source and Agent address appears in de Traplogd. It´s the Agent address that appears on Netcool in case of an event and not the source address.