Helpful
Replies

SNMP Trap device ID

pvandenbrink
Level 1
Level 1

Guys,

Does anybody know?

If a router is sending an snmp trap then the packet contains 3 IP addresses.

1-destination

2-source

3-Agent address

The Agent address (device ID) for this trap is most of the time the same as the source address.

But....this is not always, sometimes it´s an ethernet or loopback address. It looks like it´s always the highest ip address. But it also depends on IOS releases.

How can I make the Agent address fixed?

The funny thing is that when ISDN is coming up with a higher IP address then it looks that you get traps from an other device. This makes monitoring not easy.

Anybody know?

Thanks,

Regards Perry.

3 Replies 3

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

You can use the CLI command:

snmp-server trap-source here. Do a ? at the end of the command to see the various options for interfaces.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply but I wish it would be that simple. I not talking about the source address!!!

I´m talking about the Agent address. Both the source and Agent address appears in de Traplogd. It´s the Agent address that appears on Netcool in case of an event and not the source address.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply but I wish it would be that simple. I not talking about the source address!!!

I´m talking about the Agent address. Both the source and Agent address appears in de Traplogd. It´s the Agent address that appears on Netcool in case of an event and not the source address.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: